Why Having an Estate Plan is Important
Helping Families Create Their Legacies For More Than 40 Years
You are in control of what happens to your estate – and taking full advantage of the opportunity to do so is crucial. Now is the time to consider the what ifs, put your wishes down on a legal document and take the reins. There is no “right” time to start estate planning. Whether you are 18 or 75, an estate plan can benefit you in ways you may not even realize.
At Stephen K. Snavely Co., L.P.A., our Ohio lawyers can explain the various types of estate plans available to you, the benefits of each and how you can accomplish your end-of-life goals. As skilled probate litigators, we know what mistakes to avoid. We can help you maximize the value of your estate and protect your assets.
We Will Explain Why You Need An Estate Plan
Estate planning is not something that should wait until your health starts failing, your bank account starts growing or your retirement is nearing closer. No matter your age, income, marital status, health or financial status, we can assure you that you need an estate plan.
Here are some of the reasons you may need an estate plan.
- You have debts – Not all debts are discharged after your death. If you have student loans or credit card debt, it is essential to start planning as soon as possible.
- You have children – You can designate your children as beneficiaries, name them as your agents and make decisions about asset distributions.
- You own property – If you own property and die without an estate plan, your estate may go to probate. Planning accordingly can ease the administration process and even prevent a probate proceeding when it comes to real estate.
- You want control over your health care – You can designate your health care agent and wishes for your health care in an advance directive and ensure your wishes are known and followed.
- You are experiencing health issues – You can create a plan in case you cannot make your own decisions or your health takes a turn for the worst.